Contact me at:

Sunday, February 22, 2009

#1 My first painting... August 2008



At the ripe, "young" age of 62, I decided to try my hand at oil painting. In August of 2008, I was fortunate enough to be invited to paint with a good friend who had encouraged me to try something I had always wanted to try but, NEVER in a million years thought I would.

Linda bought me an easel for Christmas, 2007 and it sat in the closet for months. I really didn't think I would ever use it.

While in Indianapolis last summer (2008), we decided to go to an exhibit at the Stutz building where Victoria Gillieron had a couple of her paintings displayed. Afterwards, Victoria, Lou, Linda and I went to her studio. I decided to purchase one of her paintings. In the process, Victoria suggested I come to her studio and paint with her! She knew of my "secret" desire as she had assisted Linda is selecting an easel.
The following week, I joined Victoria Gillieron: http://www.victoriagillieron.com/ at her studio in the Stutz building. Victoria was also a student of CW Mundy, a very close and long time friend of mine. CW Mundy's art can be seen at: http://www.cwmundy.com/

I spent 7 hours in her studio that day. Victoria would come by take a look, offer some advice and then go back and sit patiently while I threw paint at a canvas for the very first time. When I was done, I had my very first oil painting. It was very exciting and changed the way I saw the world and everything in it! Thanks Victoria!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your painting! I had a great time painting with you and think you are well on your way to becoming a fabulous painter. The only difference between you and C.W. Mundy is about 1000 paintings. Somewhere after about the 300th painting you start to gain momentum, so get busy! C.W. taught me about everything I know and he is the best. He is also the most generous person I know and always makes himself available to help and motivate others. Good friend to have, huh?