Contact me at:

Saturday, March 14, 2009

#10 The Pt. Vicente lighthouse in the morning..


This is my 10th painting. It's a 16x20 of early morning at the Pt Vicente lighthouse in in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA. Pt. Vicente Lighthouse The more I do, the more I learn and the more I learn that I don't know alot. I can plan and plan in my head and visualize the end result BUT, I can't nail one yet. I have mixed emotions about this one. I know some things I did right and some that I did wrong. I like the flag mast shadow on the lighthouse and the way the morning sun hits the side. Might rework the sky someday but I need some expert advice first..... it isn't what I was after but I've decided to leave well enough alone for now. I did "go back" once before and absolutely destroyed a painting! (*see #3) I reserve the right to TRY this one again at some later date!! For now, I'm going to try something completely different . Little frustrated......

Still trying to nail one!!! Completed on Friday the 13th! March 13, 2009

June 14, 2009 ..... I had put this painting in the closet..... there were just too many thing wrong with it in my opinion. Without going in to detail, the easiest thing to rework was the sky..... I changed the sky and it works a little better now.... gonna leave it like this for the time being....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's a little critique from CW......

Loved painting #10. I love the color palette with the sky with that unusual green next to the cool blues. Don't touch it...hands off. Start another one.
I think that it would be neat for you to do a series of the lighthouse...with different light, different times of day. Watch your perspective on the building...see if you can correct that on the next one. In fact, do the marbling.
The PAC 10 sailboat race... I liked the fact that you laid the passages down and left them. The 2 sailboats together on the right opposite the centrality of focus is part of the problem. The one with the darker hull on the left ...neutralize the value, lighten it up. That will give you more of a centrality of focus. We like the spirited gutsy look of that one...almost primitive style. Keep forcing yourself to mess the paint with the marbling.. Find a subject that has more simplicity and with light and shadow, KISS Keep it simple, stupid. You are doing great for only 10 paintings. Just remember, what Put said, IT"S MILEAGE BABY!!!!!! I'm proud of ya!